All  tment Glutton

Welcome to my blog.  

 

The Allotment Glutton is where I share allotment anecdotes, potting shed politics, plot experiments, harvests & seasonal Plot2Plate recipes for maximum exploitation of fruit and veg gluts.

 

My garden and allotment plots are based in St Leonards on Sea, near Hastings, East Sussex.  

 

My blog updates are also on Twitter and Facebook.  Sign up on the contact page to receive a regular newsletter.

 

My recipe index will grow as produce is harvested from my plot, so check back regularly.

Twitter-Icon Facebook-Icon

The

RECIPES

Choose Your Glut Ingredient

(scroll  to view all)

Asparagus

Beetroot

Blackcurrants

Broad Beans

Carrots

Celery

Chard

Courgettes/Summer Squashes

Garlic

Globe Artichokes

Gooseberries

Kale

Leeks

Onions

Potatoes

Pumpkin

Purple Sprouting Broccoli

Spinach

Sweetcorn

Strawberries

Tomatoes

Winter Squash

Zucchini

 

wheelbarrow teal RSS Feed

Note: All images are the copyright of the Allotment Glutton and cannot be reproduced without prior permission.

 

We do not sell on your personal information.  Please read our full privacy policy.

BLOG INDEX

WELCOME!

All change on the plots!

By Angie, Apr 10 2013 09:01PM

I received news last week that the plot adjacent to the original plot 39 has become free. This means that we would be able to develop a straight ten rod plot.


Despite the efforts we have put into plot 37 since taking over the first half in June and the second half in October last year, we have made the decision to give up this plot once we have harvested the onions, shallots, cabbages, garlic and strawberries.


This now means we have another virgin plot to work! Oh, and we get our old shed back which we gifted to the then-plot holder too!


The soil is hungry, claggy clay, and the compost heap (which has never been emptied) is now four feet high!


We have already found a home for the old 3x3 shed - it will go to another plotholder who wants to use it as the basis for a toolchest (he has a small plot and isn't permitted a shed on his plot).


In addition to the old shed, there was a very rotted toolchest which the children found very tempting to climb all over - much to my dismay (the thoughts of impaled children flashing through my mind whenever I saw them near it!) I happily took the azada to it yesterday and demolished it in a few hearty swipes! I then piled the rotten wood into trugs and took it to the recycling site. The wood was so rotten that many of the longer lengths could be broken in half on my knee!! Had I been more recycling-minded, I would have used it to line the compost bins, but I was happy to see the back of it to be honest!


The section of plot 37 which I have been struggled to dig over during the winter months will be covered to stop it resprouting weeds, so we can keep the work down on this plot and concentrate on the new plot.


The approach for plot 38 will be lasagne beds and weed suppressed paths all the way. I will be marking the position of the beds to match the ones on the original plot (39) so the two plots look like one plot eventually. I may even add another pallet picket fence and cut flower border on the front of the new plot too to tie them together more.


Photos to follow!

Add a comment
* Required